About Me

My photo
What is a PRG?? PRG is something someone started calling me long ago - almost in another lifetime. It stands for "Puerto Rican Goddess." Most days lately, I just feel like a Pretty Regular Girl. So this blog will journal my days as a PRG. Some days that will mean my adventures as a Puerto Rican Goddess; other days I'll just be a Pretty Regular Girl. I hope you can find entertainment in both.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Yes, Sarah Jane, You are a Grown-Up

I'm pretty proud of myself for keeping up my blogging every day. I just went back and counted, and I started updating again August 12. Since then, I've had eleven (this will be twelve) posts. That means I've only missed three days of blogging in two weeks. I know it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but I have a hard time sticking to anything!

Today, just for fun, I thought I would write about my first "grown-up" purchase. For most people, that would be a car, or a house, or maybe something for a baby. Not for me. I've had a couple of different cars, and I've bought a house. No baby yet, but I've bought plenty of baby paraphernalia for others!

Today's post isn't about any of those things. There is, however, one semi-major purchase that sticks out in my head as being my first "grown-up" purchase. It ranks right up there with my professional Kitchen-Aid mixer, but the mixer came a few years later. Behold, my very first - and arguably my very favorite - grown up purchase:


A Dyson vacuum cleaner! I had been wanting one forever, but they were just too expensive. So we kept going to Wal-Mart and spending $35 on a cheap vacuum. That would last a couple of months, then it would break. Pretty soon, we were right back where we started: in the vacuum aisle at Wal-Mart, picking out our next cheap piece of crap vacuum cleaner.

So...one day Jay and I were at Best Buy. I don't remember our original reason for going, but I'm pretty sure it was to buy a video game or some other important piece of electronic equipment. Then I saw it, and it was like the heavens opened! They had a new Dyson that was at a reduced price because it was out of the box. I don't think it had ever been used, but the box was destroyed in shipment or something.

Anyway, I left Best Buy that day a very happy girl, with visions of a sparkling clean home in my head. I can't promise that my home has been immaculate and sparkly clean every day since then. What I can promise is that I get a little gleeful every time I use my Dyson. Or, as I like to call it, my "Big Girl" vacuum!

So tell me...when did you first know you were a grow-up? What was the first grown-up purchase you made?

*SJ*

Word Count: 1,182

No comments: