About Me

My photo
What is a PRG?? PRG is something someone started calling me long ago - almost in another lifetime. It stands for "Puerto Rican Goddess." Most days lately, I just feel like a Pretty Regular Girl. So this blog will journal my days as a PRG. Some days that will mean my adventures as a Puerto Rican Goddess; other days I'll just be a Pretty Regular Girl. I hope you can find entertainment in both.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

In The Kitchen: Habanero Hellfire Chili

Today I attempted chili from scratch. But not just any chili. I had to attempt Habanero Hellfire Chili from Allrecipes.com I decided to try chili, because The Boy and I were planning to put up the Christmas tree and decorate at his place tonight and chili sounded like a warm, Christmasy kind of meal.

Here's the recipe as I made it:

1 lb Hormel Black Label Thick Cut Bacon
1 lb 80/20 ground beef
1 lb reduced fat ground pork
1 pkg Texas Traditions Hickory Smoked Beef Sausage (6 links)
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 oz chopped yellow onion
4 jalapenos, chopped
2 habaneros, seeded & chopped
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1.5 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp beef bullion granules
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (not drained)
2 bottles Bud Light
6 oz tomato paste
1 can whole kernel corn (drained)

So the first instructions for the recipe are to place the bacon in a large soup pot and cook over medium-high heat. I should mention here that as much as I love bacon, I cannot cook it to save my life. So of course, I burned the first six pieces I put in the pot.

Next, I googled "easiest way to cook bacon" and discovered that it can be made in the oven. 20 minutes later, I take my beautifully cooked bacon out of the oven & turn to place it on the sink. Hot bacon grease sprays all over the mat in front of the sink. The score is now Bacon-2, Sarah Jane-0.

I proceed to cook the ground beef and ground pork in the pot. Once the meat was fully browned, I added the remaining ingredients: the peppers, spices, tomatoes, and the beer. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 45-60 minutes. Add the sausage and bacon and simmer another 30 minutes.

During the last 30 minutes, I put a loaf of Pillsbury Simply Rustic French Bread in the oven. Whoa! That stuff is awesome! Perfectly crusty on the outside, light and slightly sweet on the inside. It matched perfectly with the heat of the chili.

The chili turned out really well, too, despite the Great Bacon Debacle. It was a little soupier than I typically think of chili, although still very hearty. I think the only change I'll make next time is to reduce the amount of beer. The original recipe called for one can of beer + two cups of water. I eliminated the water entirely and added another bottle of beer. I think I'll stick to one bottle, but still eliminate the water next time.

I'd love to hear suggestions on your favorite chili recipe, or any other recipe that gets you in the mood for Christmas!

*SJ*

No comments: